Social Distancing Got You Down?: Here Are a Few Movies to Help

Emma Tyler, Staff Writer

During these difficult times that everyone is going through, we could all use a few uplifting films to raise our spirits. Here are my picks for you to watch while you’re stuck at home.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Although most people have seen “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” I would say it is one of the most rewatchable movies of all time. At any moment if you need a laugh or a distraction, this movie will always be there to comfort you in these crazy times. The basic plot of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” is highschooler Ferris Bueller and his two friends attempting to skip school. While trying to have a perfect day before they graduate, they have to ensure they don’t get caught by their crazy principal. Watching Ferris and his friends have an ideal day in the city of Chicago and watching their hilarious banter with each other will definitely get a smile out of you and will get you looking forward to seeing your friends after quarantine. 

Little Miss Sunshine

Valerie Faris and Jonathan Dayton’s “Little Miss Sunshine” definitely has its share of depressing moments, but it eventually picks itself up at the end to leave you happy and satisfied. When seven-year-old Olive gets accepted in an important beauty pageant, her dysfunctional family takes a road trip to California to support her. While on the road, the Hoover family experiences many obstacles and tests of their family bond. This movie will manage to tug at every emotion you have while leaving you with a warm feeling of bliss. Although it isn’t the most lighthearted film, I assure you that it will tug at your heartstrings in the best way possible.

Almost Famous

Even though everyone should watch Cameron Crowe’s “Almost Famous” in their life, now is a perfect time. Based on a true story, taking place in the early 1970s, 15-year-old William Miller pretends to be an adult to pursue his dream of writing for Rolling Stone Magazine. After convincing the magazine that he was much older than he really was, Rolling Stone assigns William to go on tour with up-and-coming band, Stillwater to write a story about them. While following Stillwater on their tour, William eventually bonds with them and builds a relationship that may affect his story in great ways. Watching him pursue his dream of journalism at such a young age always gives me a sense of motivation. Plus, watching William make all of his fun memories in the 70s always puts me in a good mood.

Ladybird

Greta Gerwig’s “Ladybird” is such a stunning coming of age film that all teenagers will be able to relate to it. Based on first love, family dynamics and identity, “Ladybird” tells the moving story of Christine McPherson going through her senior year. Christine was always a quirky girl while going through high school and chose her name to be Ladybird so that she could stand out from the rest of her class. When Ladybird is faced with a complex relationship with her mother and begins to rethink how she presents herself, the movie showcases this confusing time. While highlighting the embarrassing times of being a teenager with humor, “Ladybird” also shows the emotional side of growing up with a complicated mother-daughter relationship. I highly recommend this movie to those who want to watch a quality coming of age story that leaves you feeling touched.

Perks of Being a Wallflower

“Perks of Being a Wallflower” is another movie that you must watch sometime within your teenage years. This movie deals with extremely serious topics regarding life while simultaneously highlighting the common issues that teenagers face each day. The topics of relationships, school and stress are all very relatable to the target audience. Following Charlie, a socially awkward freshman going through his first year of high school, “Perks of Being a Wallflower” showcases the rollercoaster that is Charlie’s unstable emotions throughout the film. While revealing the darkest side of Charlie’s mind, this film also manages to make you feel an attachment and love towards Charlie and his friends that makes along the way.